Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Lake Atitlan Tuesday, Feb. 26


Mary and I had a big outing today, we took a guided tour, which ended up being a private tour, of Lake Atitlan. I probably should have researched it a little to take advantage of our tour--we ended up the only ones so they would have taken us to whatever sights we requested, but didn't know what to request. Anyway, the lake is either the result of several volcano eruptions or an actual volcano crater with very clear blue water (still wouldn't drink it though) and an unknown depth! Couldn't remember all the guide told us, but guess what?! it's all on the net http://www.panajachel.com/aboutpanajachel.htm It was a pretty overcast day and I would love to see it on a clear day, but still very beautiful. And I don't know about anyone else, but the whole volcano thing is pretty cool to me!
The ride there and back was at least half the adventure. Up and down very steep mountain roads and through lots of construction, which is not at all primitive, but a great deal more human labor intensive and less big equipment. The guide was timing things so we could make it through during the breakfast break - he said they close the roads while working and let the cars through at breakfast or lunch break.
We went shopping at the market which was very intimidating, especially for me since I even find the Mall intimidating! Hector, our guide - who by the way has not only seen more of the US than me, but also speaks better English than I do - did the bargaining for me. There was way to much stuff to choose from and the sales people are very, very persistent. I am really not sure what I ended up with, so I hope no one expects good souveniers from me. Stopped at a couple of good resteraunts and passed amazing plantations with crops practically straight up and down the mountains. Yes Billy, there does seem to be quite an aptitude for agriculture here.

1 comment:

Carole said...

Happy Birthday to Jaime! Love the blog and the photos. He is adorable -- even with bad hair! ;)